Sunday, January 27, 2013

Learning To Weave

Megan and I have been reading and studying about Moses. She is facinated with the story of the baby being placed in the basket (Exodus 2:1-10). I love her questions and the way that she has related to Mariam, Moses's sister. She has told me how she thinks his sister would feel and that if she was the sister she would keep thinking, "Oh no! Don't tip over basket and don't sink!" :) She has also asked about the basket...a lot.

I have been wanting to teach her how to sew. I'm waiting for our next trip to a big city to be able to pick up those supplies. But, the basket sparked an idea. The basket would have been woven, right? And weaving is a skill needed for sewing. So, I started to figure out a way to help her learn to weave something into a basket. Like most moms, at my feet sat a laundry basket of clothes waiting to be folded and neatly put away. It happened to be a kids' basket. The holes were perfect for weaving a large ribbon through! Although I'm not really up for coating it with tar and pitch or seeing if it's sea worthy, I think it made for a pretty good object lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment